Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cutlery

Just to show how they are such hardcore extreme fast and light expeditioneers, the EE crew don't use plastic utensils, or God forbid Coleman, or even a cheap stainless steel set from Walmart... No, they all like to use Snow Peak Titanium greywear. It's HiSpeedLoDrag.



We find it curious that the utensiles are flimsy titanium things, in the name of saving weight, yet they come with a nylon cordura carry case. The case probably weighs as much as the utensils. The whole thing probably weighs as much as a stainless steel camping set that wouldn't need a case.

Well, they must work really well though right? I mean, that's a high precision spoon, that makes eating your oatmeal faster. And I'm sure the fork has extra holding power. No, by their own admission:

ChrisVonC:

The Snow Peak knife from the 3-piece titanium silverware. With all the love SP puts into their stuff, they couldnt make the knife serrated? Seriously, for the love of God, put a little bit of bite on this thing. I love the size of the set, the case, the weight, the ease of clean up, but fuck me, anytime I want to cut something other than warm butter, I go insane.


So, John "built" his cutlery set:

I sharpened my Snow Peak "knife". I didn't go psycho and put some Edge Pro action on it. I just wanted something more than a butter knife.

Well, I wouldn't call what I have an "edge". I simply turned the radiused sheet into a V. "Bevel" might be more accurate.

It's not sharp at all. I can put my finger to it and run it across and I won't get cut. But it beats trying to cut with a radius.


Heaven forbid you throw out that piece of shit kiddie knife, and actually bring one with a real edge. Fuck me.

CVC goes on:

I'll try that on mine. I bought 2 sets of the Brunton TI because the knive is serrated but they are longer and have no bag to store them in so I still go for my SP set when camping. I keep a set here at work for when I bring my lunches in rather than trying to find plastic crap to eat with and they are easy to clean.

So Chris brings the non-functional Snow Peak knife camping, and uses the Brunton set at work. Plastic is too hard to find. Stainless steel cutlery is too pedestrian. Brunton Titanium tells his coworkers that he's all Extreme Expedition, but still down-to-earth because he saves his Japanese-made TI cutlery for his real trips.

Why is Titanium cutlery preferred by the EE crowd? Stainless Steel melts at only 2500 degrees. Titanium is good to at least 2800. That could make or break your trip to Moab. I mean Jesus, you could be up to 50 miles away from a McDonalds where you can get some finger food if you have a cutlery malfunction. That's some scary shit right there.

Tony Desanto is a such a lame ass, he has to ASK PERMISSION from the messiah if he is allowed to carry a real knife:

Am I carrying too much shit if I actually carry a bonafide steak knife?

But, he's such an ExtremeDouche, that he has to actually seek out a "steak knife" that is not serrated. I have no idea where one even finds such a thing. Probably on the hanger under the tag: "Chef's Knife, Small". This is some more serious sand in the mangina whining here:

I can't stand cutting food with a serrated blade. Not only does it tear the food, I can't stand the thought that I'm sawing my food.

3 comments:

  1. That's fucking chumpware at it's very best. I bet these homeboys parents spoonfed them on the overly priced pieces of shit too that ee sells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see something YELLOW :) Yippie let me add that to my collection. Maybe I can rig up some type of ram dash mount for this supper sweet expedition exchange gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand using a spoon. I can't escape the thought that I'm shoveling my food.

    And don't even get me started on forks.... Hello, Pitchforks?

    I'm so enlightened, I just eat with my hands.

    ReplyDelete